Monday, April 10, 2006

One of those days

Its been one of those days where nothing is really going wrong, but when I sit down at night I feel like everything has been driving me crazy. I feel like my body is vibrating tonight with all of my stress over school, work, moving etc. that I don't know what to work on. I feel over caffeinated (but I'm not) or all keyed up like I get when I take allergy medication (I haven't). I can blame the intensity of my professor in class tonight, who sounded like she was shouting all evening (and even felt the need to interject my name into one such statement --totally randomly like I was a little kid ready to wander into the street, or like had just asked her a question about that point and she wanted my attention [I hadn't, she had it]--and this is a big class with about 20 people or so). I can blame it on the intensity of sharing 3 minutes before and after class wtih ~10 people as keyed up and stressed as I am about completing their degree requirements. I can blame it on getting lost in the menu of the California teacher credentialing board and listening to their menu twice without hearing anything, before finally hitting a random button and being connected to a message that told me the office hours ended at 4:45 PST, it was 7:45EST and I probably would have made it in time if I had pressed a button my first time through the menu but I got distracted by the Internet and didn't hear any of the "press 6 if you know your party's extension and would like to dial it now." Also who closes their office at 4:45? I could blame it on the seemingly endless stream of evening emails between me and my internship supervisor about mysterious requirements that I think she makes up during her commute back to good old Kentucky. But if I am going to place blame I think I should blame my crappy day on everyone and go with the Simpson's quote "You know what I blame this on the downfall of? Society!"-Moe Syzslak

3 comments:

Granny said...

Hi Nancy. Sorry about the crappy day.

Angelique said...

I can relate to feeling "all keyed up". That's when your mind starts to feel numb and closed off. Warm things usually help me-sitting in the sun, hot chai, a heating pad, bath, etc...
Hope you feel better soon.

Alice said...

"My mother warned me there'd be days like these..."

I've been feeling like that lately. Nothing really bad has happened and nobody has been horrible to me, just everything, EVERYTHING is irritating me so much I want to start yelling and little things keep going wrong that make me want to start yelling even more.

Like yesterday. I did yell then. The water pipes springing a leak and my brother (long story) being in a strop were the straws that broke the camel's back.

"THAT'S IT!" I yelled as my mother ran around trying to find the emergency hotline council number; "THAT'S IT! I AM GOING OUTSIDE, I AM CALLING MIKE, AND WHEN THIS IS SORTED I AM HAVING PIZZA, DO YOU HEAR? *PIZZA!* AND BEFORE ANYBODY MENTIONS IT, I AM AWARE THAT PIZZA IS VERY FATTENING AND BAD FOR YOU, BUT I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT HAVING PIZZA WHILST TRYING TO KEEP TO 1,500 CALORIES A DAY IS TOTALLY JUSTIFIED WHEN ONE HAS ONLY EATEN TOAST, AN APPLE AND FOUR CRACKERS IN 11 HOURS AND UPON RETURNING HOME ONE IS PREVENTED FROM USING THE COOKER DUE TO WATER GUSHING THROUGH THE CEILING AND SCREWING UP THE ELECTRICITY SYSTEM, AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO ARGUE I AM CONFIDENT THAT NO JURY WOULD CONVICT ME. THANK YOU."

And then I went outside.

The pizza was nice.

The electricity DID come back on, before we ordered, but I didn't dare use the cooker. Last time we had a leak every time we tried to turn the cooker or the kettle on for over a day the whole bloody house fused.

And anyway, I'd had a crap day and I was hungry. I needed pizza. And wedges. And barbeque dip...And, ok, I didn't need the sticky dippers pudding, but it was on offer and I had no alcohol in the house; SOMETHING had to lighten my mood.

Chin up. We all have times like this, and the feelings don't last forever, honestly.

Hugs to you and Mike.

x